As I’ve mentioned before, we have industrial grade moles in our yard. When we put in most of the raised beds, we didn’t mole-proof them. It just didn’t occur to us. Well, it occurred to us that we had a problem when the moles started building massive tunnels in the beds. I guess the nice, soft soil was a mole’s dream house. Since then, we’ve been retroactively installing hardware cloth barriers in the beds. This task is no fun. It requires a whole lot of digging and stapling. But it is necessary. Over the last few weeks, we’ve finished two of the three beds in the greenhouse. Just one more bed to go there and then on to more outdoor beds.
Speaking of the greenhouse, the first bed that we mole-proofed is now filled with my first batch of seedlings. This bed has lettuce, kale, bok choi, and Chinese cabbage. I also threw in a few garlic bulbs I found leftover in an outdoor bed. On cool nights, I’ve been covering everything with a grow cloth, but generally everything is doing really well and showing good growth.
With my first batch of seedlings hardened off and planted, I started my tomato and pepper seedlings a few weeks ago. This year, I have started Italian Roma, San Marzano, Celebrity, Ace, and Sun Gold tomatoes. For peppers, I’ve started Italian Sweet, Creme Brulee, and Purple Beauty. For the last few years, I’ve had some trouble with my tomato seedlings, but this batch looks great! I also have some Candy onions started with this batch.
Finally, we harvested our last batch of overwintered carrots. The kids helped me dig out the carrots, then I dug out the entire bed so Derek could install the hardware cloth. Soon, we’ll get our first batch of peas planted in this bed.