What to do with 200 pounds of plums?

Shiro plums

Shiro plums

The kids and I picked a medium-sized basket of plums yesterday. Out of curiosity, I weighed the basket. We had 18.5 pounds of plums and you could hardly tell the tree had been picked at all.

Shiro plum tree

Shiro plum tree

Based on a quick visual estimate of the volume of plums on the tree, I think we have somewhere around 200 pounds of plums.  That’s a lot of plums.

Spiced golden plum jam

Spiced golden plum jam

So I made some spiced golden plum jam, a favorite from my jam-making exploits from last summer.  That took care of about 3.5 pounds of plums.  I think I’ll make another batch or two of jam and maybe some plum salsa. The kids love the plums fresh and have been nibbling away on them. To share the bounty, my daughter and I walked the neighborhood yesterday giving plums away to neighbors. To find homes for others, I think I’ll take plums to the office this week.  I’m also thinking about picking a bunch for the local food bank.

Any other ideas for what I should do with my 200 pounds of plums?

Sandy

PS: I highly recommend using no or low sugar required pectin. This type of pectin allows you to adjust the sugar to your sweetness preference. In my case, that means I can add just enough sugar so that the jam is a yummy mix of just slightly sweet and tart. Plus, less sugar is obviously healthier.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Gardening, Homesteading and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to What to do with 200 pounds of plums?

1. sustainableeats says:

Umm…I’ll take some off your hands if you need help…we have about 5 plums on our tree so far. Someday I might have enough kiwi to trade you…

2. Hi Annette,

If you want to come out to Woodinville next Friday or Saturday, you can pick away!

Sandy

3. Daisy Shirley says:

Have you seen how Alton Brown on the Foodnetwork dries fruits, herbs as well as meats for jerky? A box fan, 4 paper furnace filters and a couple bungee cords. Cut up fruits, dip in a lemon water bath to stop browning, spread out on 3 of the paper filters topped with the 4th and strapped to the exhaust side of the fan. After 12-18 hours turn the filters around so the outside one is now inside and dry for another 12-18 hours. Store in a jar for remaining moisture to equalize then bag.

Plum wine or spirits? Cut up and add to vodka add some spices, set in dark area for several weeks shaking occasionally. Rebottle and gift.

Plum/mixed pie, baked and frozen?

If I lived home in Washington I know I’d love some.

4. kitsapFG says:

Plum butter, plum sauce, and dried plums immediately comes to mind (after jam which you already have done!). That is a whole lot of plums. I have a friend in Silverdale that has a Shiro plum tree and am expecting to benefit again this year from her bounty.

5. Daisy, I thought of drying, but these are a particularly wet plum. I’ve got a food dehydrator so I can give it a try, but I think my prune type plum (of which I’ll only get a few this year sadly) will be better for drying.

Laura, I’m definitely going to leaf through the Ball canning book for other ways to preserve the plums. I’m thinking about doing a few recipes that fal more to the savory side as well. Have fun with your Shiros!

6. Hi Sandy,
    I’ve just found you through Tom’s Tall Clover Farm blog. I’m doing similar things (on a very similar looking blog :)!) on Vancouver Island. My cukes are still teeny, and sadly, we have no plum trees. We inherited loads of apple trees on our property, and planted two cherries this year. By the looks of that jam, the plum trees will have to be next! I’ll enjoy following your progress–and reading more about your goats!
    Best, Toni @BackyardFeast

7. Hi Sandy,

Do you think you’ll have any left on Tuesday? If so I’d love to!

8. Sandy, Christine Ferber’s mes confitures has a ton of recipes for greengauge plums, I’m thinking your plums may work well in them.

9. Hi Toni! Thanks for coming and visiting my site. I checked out your blog and you’re right, our blogs and projects do have much in common.

Annette, I’ll email you and let you know if there will be any left on Tuesday. I’ll be at work on Tuesday but if there are some left I’ll give you my address and you’ll be welcome to come out and pick on your own.

10. I agree about the low sugar pectin. I hate when jam is so sweet that you cant even tell what the fruit is! You are a canning machine – I am impressed!

11. Charlie says:

200 pounds of Shiro plums. Nice. I make apple cider (fermented, not apple juice) from my backyard orchard, it seems to me that you could probably use a Lehman’s steam juicer and make gallons of plum juice. And if you are so inclined, make a fine plum wine. 100% juice with a wine yeast would be so much better than adding water or sugar to a small batch of plums. I bet it would go great with your jam, beef (or lamb) w/ plum sauce, as well as fresh fruit. Lots of choices with a fine harvest. Enjoy!

12. Pingback: August garden update: Potatoes, garlic, pumpkins, canning, sunflowers, and more | The 10 Year Challenge

13. Pingback: Photo album: Plum blossoms, peas, garlic, blueberries, and rhubarb | The 10 Year Challenge

14. Pingback: Share your best fruit | The 10 Year Challenge

15. momijistudio says:

Our Shiro plum tree has produced about 400 plums this year, so I’m also trying to figure out what to do with all of the glorious bounty. In addition to jam, try making sorbet or granita. I did a plum vodka granita (about 4 c. pureed plum, half a cup of vodka, and 2/3 c. simple syrup)–it’s a very refreshing treat.

16. Janis L says:

I just collected my first Shiro plum harvest since planted 3 years ago in San Diego, California.
    I love them- sweet, juicy. How do you de-stone the plums in big quantity?

17. Pingback: Plum Season | Eugene Area Gleaners